Teacher Leader Program
About the Teacher Leader Program
The Teacher Leader program fosters the professional development of highly motivated students by providing them with challenging, extracurricular opportunities in the education community. Our goal is for Teacher Leaders to fully understand the educational landscape and to give them the tools to traverse this landscape as effective communicators, problem solvers, and innovators. Approximately ten exceptional undergraduate teacher education seniors will participate in the program, each of whom will be selected through a rigorous application and interview process.
The Teacher Leader program exposes the students to the most innovative leaders in education and in the community at large through site visits, individual mentors, and roundtable discussions with education leaders. The program kicks off with a weeklong tour before the start of the fall semester. Each Teacher Leader will be assigned a mentor to provide individual interaction throughout the program.
Thanks to the generous support of donors, there is no cost to participate in the program.
- Demonstration of leadership qualities such as initiative, willingness and ability to lead;
- Desire to make a difference in education and the community; and
- Commitment to all time and program expectations.
- Be full time students in good standing at the College of Charleston;
- Be declared Teacher Education majors;
- Achieve senior standing prior to the start of the fall semester (completed 90 credit hours);
- Be available for travel the week before classes begin; and
- Be available for monthly meetings on Thursday evenings during the spring and fall semesters.
Prospective program participants must complete an online application and supporting documentation. Participants will be selected based on eligibility criteria and strength of application, which includes the application, academic record, faculty recommendation, cover letter, and resume. After initial application review, a select group of students will be invited to a panel interview, which may include program administrators, current Teacher Leaders, and other College of Charleston faculty.
The application for the Teacher Program must be completed online and requires the following:
- Basic personal and contact information;
- Personal statement in under 500 words;please define leadership in your own words and describe your style of leadership, evaluate what leadership and advocacy competencies you hope to develop through your participation in the Teacher Leader program, and please close with sharing why you are applying for this experience;
- A current resume;
- A current class history obtained from Degreeworks (directions here); and
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the Department of Teacher Education (to be uploaded here).
The application deadline for 2017-2018 Teacher Leader cohort is midnight, Sunday, April 9, 2017.
For questions or for additional information, please contact:
School of Education, Health, and Human Performance