General Information for Students

Student Registration for PDE Courses

Professional development courses do not follow the College's regular semester timetable, but it is expected that registration for those attending professional development classes must be completed within the timeframe of the course. Registration ends the first week of the course, and the registration documents should be sent to the Professional Development Office immediately. Any necessary variation to this rule should be well documented to assure quality control. The Director of Professional Development in Education will work closely with the course initiators to increase the efficiency of the registration process with course instructors.

Professional Development Courses vs. Catalog Courses:

  • Catalog Course: Courses that have been approved as a part of a course of study in a C of C graduate-level program. These courses are ones that are offered through a contract course arrangement and count towards a Master's Degree in a specific discipline area (Examples: M.A.T. and M.Ed. programs). They are awarded graduate credit, reviewed, and accepted by the specific discipline/curriculum involved.
  • Professional Development Course: Courses (EDPD) taken through the College of Charleston's Office of Professional Development in Education. These courses are used to modernize instructional strategies and offer content enrichment opportunities. Credit for a course of this type does not count toward completion of a C of C curriculum program or a Master's Degree. However, credit can count towards recertification, a Bachelor's Degree +18 hours, and/or a Master's Degree +30 hours.

Student Enrollment Verification Process

Section 17 of the South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act (H. 4400, Act 280 of 2008), enacted June 4, 2008, requires South Carolina public colleges and universities to verify the lawful presence in the United States of their students.  To attend a public college or university in the state, a student must be a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States.

Students are required to provide proof of lawful presence in the United States before being allowed to enroll or continue enrollment at the College. The Board of Trustees of the College of Charleston has approved a verification process to comply with the law.

“You must provide a legible copy of your South Carolina driver’s license or identification card if it was issued after January 1, 2002. The College may verify the validity of the license with the SC Department of Motor Vehicles ".   If you do not have a South Carolina driver’s license or identification, you must request that a certified original Birth Certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics indicating you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States, with your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of the certificate be sent to Dr. Andrew Lewis,  School of Education, Health and Human Performance, 66 George Street, Charleston, SC  29424.

Please note that the certificate will be retained by the College and photocopies are unacceptable. If name has changed since birth, applicant must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate, certificate of naturalization, court-ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the document presented as proof of lawful presence in the United States.

Withdrawal Process

Students who register for a professional development course, but who wish to discontinue, must withdraw from the course formally and must complete the withdrawal before the first 40% of the class meetings have been held. Students who wish to withdraw after this time period must formally request a late withdrawal using the late withdrawal form which requires written justification and the signature of the Dean of Graduate Studies. The course instructors are responsible for sending the withdrawal forms to the Professional Development Office as soon as possible according to the timetable stated above. The Director of Professional Development in Education will consult with the course initiators on this process as well.

Missing Information

Students who submit a signed and dated registration form no later than the first week of classes, but who fail to provide adequate information regarding their undergraduate degree (transcript or teaching certificate), or who have an outstanding bill at the College, will receive written notification from the Professional Development Office requesting the missing information. The last statement on the notification will detail the consequence of not providing the missing information in a timely manner with a statement such as the following:

"You must resolve the issue(s) stated above, within two weeks of the date of this letter and before the end of the course, whichever comes first. If extenuating circumstances require an extension, you must submit a written request for an extension to the Professional Development Office within two weeks and before the end of the course. Please understand that by not attending to this matter you will not be able to receive credit for the work you are doing in the course."

To be enrolled, the applicant must provide the missing information and/or remove the billing hold within two weeks of the date of the notification, and before the end of the course. If extenuating circumstances require an extension, the applicant must submit a written request for an extension to the Professional Development Office within two weeks and before the end of the course.

Additions to Grade Rolls

Once a course is completed, a request to the Director of Professional Development to add a student to a grade roll, will not be approved by the Director and, subsequently the Dean of Graduate Studies unless accompanied by appropriate documentation. This documentation must show that an error was made either at the point of registration or at the College of Charleston which resulted in the student not being enrolled in the class. It is anticipated that instructors will check their class rolls in MyCharleston early in the life of the class in order to determine and correct such errors.


(This is the School of Education, Health and Human Performance's policy on attendance.)
For a grade to be awarded, students must attend at least 85% of the class hours. Students may be withdrawn by the instructor for absences that exceed this limit.


The grade of "I" indicates that only a small part of the semester's work remains to be done, that the student is otherwise doing satisfactory work in the course, and that an extension of time is warranted to complete the work. The grade of "I" also signifies that an agreement has been established between professor and student as to the quantity of work remaining to be done, the deadlines established for its completion, and a schedule of meeting times. This agreement must be made in writing with professor and student and program director having a copy. All work for completion of the course requirements must be submitted by the end of exams in the next major term (Fall or Spring). If the student does not complete the work within the prescribed time period, the "I" is changed to an "F".

A grade of incomplete “I” must be accompanied by a Course Completion Form (.doc). (Students have one major semester to complete an “I”. A copy of the Course Completion Form must be mailed to:


Professional Development in Education

School of Education, Health and Human Performance

College of Charleston

Charleston, SC 29424

Change of Grade

Should a student have a discrepancy concerning a grade, he/she must consult the instructor of the course directly. If it is determined that a grade change is warranted, the instructor will initiate the paperwork.

Review of Final Grades

  • Go to MyCharleston and log in.
  • Select the Academic Services tab.
  • Click on the Banner Self-Service link on the right-hand side of the page.
  • Click on the Student link.
  • Click on the Student Records link.
  • Click on the Final Grades link.
  • Select the desired terms you wish to view.

Last updated August 2021